Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Costly Roadrunner


On Friday, March 26, I decided to lunch-time bike up San Luis Mountain from work. This is a good location for Greater Roadrunner and a fun mountain bike ride. (the mountain is behind my bike in the picture). I went up with two friends. On the way up the mountain (mostly wide trails and fire roads - some of which were deeply rutted) I stopped and looked down and scanned for roadrunner. I did see one far off, on the top of a boulder - Bigby Bird # 219. I decided to go ahead and go all the way to the top, which I did - a steep and tiring climb. Unfortunately, on the way down I was a little casual and hit something in the road and was airborne! The flying was ok, but the sudden stop was not. Two fractured ribs later, I am taking a short break from bicycle birding. I will get back out as soon as I am able. I learned not to relax on a downhill mountain bike ride and not to forget to adequately deflate my tires and soften my shocks for such a trail.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your becoming a Greater Road Flyer in your quest for a Greater Road Runner! What a bummer that you broke ribs in the process!
    Since I acquired my panniers (having consulted you about carrying all my birding gear on my two-wheeler) and loading them with my scope, cameras, tripods, etc. I'm visualizing a similar fate. My bike is so top and rear heavy that I've had it fall just walking beside it if I let it lean too far one way. BUT, on the up side ... I have been taking my bike on short birding expeditions around Heritage Ranch instead of taking a motorized vehicle. There has been a learning curve, but it's worth it.
    I hope you have a speedy recovery and are back bicycle/birding soon.
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. You need a handle bar bag for your camera stuff and binos. That would help, and it makes your binos and camera more accessible. You'll get used to the top heavy part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you need to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Have your ex CRAWLING back to you...?

    ReplyDelete